Thursday, May 11, 2006

...or not?

My second cousin once-removed (who for the sake of confusion I call my aunt) and I are like e-mail buddies. I share what's happening in my life, she fills me in on hers, and from time to time we send on appropriate forwards to each other.
This is the most recent one that she sent me:


When I was little, I used to believe in the concept of one best friend,

and then I started to become a woman.
And then I found out that if you allow your heart to open up, God would show you the best in many friends.

One friend is needed when you're going through things with your man.
Another friend is needed when you're going through things with your mum.
Another when you want to shop, share, heal, hurt, joke, or just be.
One friend will say,
"Let's cry together," another,
"Let's fight together," another,
"Let's walk away together."

One friend will meet your spiritual need,
another your shoe fetish,
another your love for movies,
another will be with you in your season of confusion,
another will be your clarifier,
another the wind beneath your wings.

But whatever their assignment in your life,
on whatever the occasion,
on whatever the day,
or wherever you need them to meet you with their gym shoes on and hair pulled back,
or to hold you back from making a complete fool of yourself
... those are your best friends.

It may all be wrapped up in one woman, but for many, it's wrapped up in
several...
one from 7th grade,
one from high school,
several from the college years,
a couple from old jobs,
on some days your mother,
on some days your neighbour,
on others, your sisters,
and on some days, your daughters.

Well, I pondered this proposal and agreed with most of it - the progression of friendships and realisations and the need for different friends for different events. But what if it's all fading - slipping away for no fault of your own?

My friends and I don't have that sort of relationship. Their weekends consist of getting drunk and being hungover. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I hate Twin Towns and that is their, let me quote; "Second Home".
So when I attempt to organise a 'girly' weekend with dinner and a movie, I get stood up or cancelled on at the last minute for alcohol, roulette and sleazy random hook-ups.
I've thought about this so much that my head hurts from the electrical currents - Maybe it's actually me with the problem? I am the minority after all - and I'm 18. Why shouldn't I be getting pissed off my head and doing things that I'm bound to regret?

I think I just answered my own question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe its time to find some people whose interests aren't so focused in one direction?

Its my experience that the people you actually want to hang out with are right in front of you.

Kitty Carryall. said...

I've grown to accept my rut - now I'm afraid that I may never get out!

Anonymous said...

I believe that the best option would be finding friends with whom really you amuse yourself, and not hanging out with the ones that you must take care when are vomiting every weekend night!, that is such a pain in the ass!
xoxo cynth
PS: the fwd for my is certain