Sunday, February 03, 2008

The end of a 10 year dream

Anyone who remembers me as a child will remember my obsession with the Spice Girls. Not only did I manage to learn all the words to every song, plaster just about every millimetre of my own four walls with their posters and get their cassette (that's just how old I was!) banned from the Tarago, but I had hysterics over their official T-Shirt I was wearing on a school camp.
Our sailing instructor told us that we were not allowed to participate unless we all wore our T-Shirts and lucky me happened to be wearing my prized Spice Girls splashed across my chest. W., my childhood best friend, convinced me that we would be great sailers and I didn't have to worry about getting my shirt wet so off we went... Until we capsized and - shock horror! - I got my shirt wet! Well did I scream and carry on... seriously, I wailed for the whole afternoon because I was convinced the Ti-Tree lake had stained my idols.
I loved those girls beyond words. I would watch their live concert in Istanbul and be so jealous of the audience and I told myself that one day I would be one of them. To me, the Spice Girls would be together forever and continue to rule the world.
When they broke up I was devastated, but 10 years later, they announced a Reunion World Tour. Naturally, I was estatic, and I told myself that I would pay as much as they were asking, because I owed it to the tiny version of me that lives in my memory.
Tickets were looking at being AU$750, and of course at that money, no-one was willing to accompany me. I was not phased - I was going to get there. The official website continued to state that the Sydney concert was yet to be confirmed into the last days of the tour, so I began checking daily for confirmation as I was paranoid that I would not get a ticket.
Yesterday, the girls announced that they were no longer including Australia in their tour. I don't know if I'm more upset or angry. As a child those girls made me believe that there was nothing in the world that could destroy girl power and that anyone could achieve anything. After the years of money, tears and support that I have given them I feel like a violated, insignificant piece of society.
Thanks shattering my dream... you pack of bitches.

No comments: