Sunday, September 09, 2007

Child's Play

I think two of the voids in my childhood was my inability to skip double dutch, and to twirl a hula-hoop.
Today, however, was one of the most fulfilling days that I have had in a very long time. Not only did I have a very deep conversation with M, the most deeply spiritual woman I know about sacred spaces and where to find God, but I returned to my childhood with the most precious children I know and we taught each other how to skip.
Okay, so we all knew how to skip, but there were of the course the little tricks and turns like criss-cross, jump ins (we got to 3!) and of course everyone's favourite, the old single rope jumping.
It was someones brilliant idea to get two ropes going and attempt some double dutch. Now I knew that this wasn't my area of expertise, so I volunteered to turn the ropes. And to be perfectly honest, no one started off too well.
Yeah, we were all that bad that we retreated inside and watched the movie that inspired us to skip in the first place, 'Jump In'. Actually, E. loved it that much she had a need to watch it 5 times since hiring it out the previous day.
Anyway, I resisted my severe need for down time (since being woken by E. at God knows what hour after going to bed only a few hours before) as the rest of the family went out, and A. and I attempted double dutch again.
We thought we were rather clever by tying an end of each rope to the end of the trampoline and taking it in turns jumping in. Our aim was to get at least 2 jumps each under our belt before the rest of the family returned home. So after many failed attempts we recorded one on my mobile and sent it off to my professional skipper cousin. Hastily replying, she gave us a few tips to work on.
The others returned home and did we practice, practice and practice! Soon everyone was having a go - even M. - and after little time at all, little E. got the hang of it and busted out with 34 jumps. Wow - talk about setting the bar high! This just made the rest of us want it even more!
G. got flustered after a while - said he didn't like things that he wasn't good at, but eventually he got 2 jumps in, as did A, S and M.
So I gave it another go and "By Jove! She's done it!"
37 jumps.
The record of the day.
And the feeling that I got is hard to describe. You couldn't say defeating your demons (that would suggest that skipping is something to be feared) or that it is achieving that 'sacred space' (because I know there is nothing more almighty than God himself) - but more like finding that bracelet you lost when you were 7, or coming across your old Barbies and desperately wanting to play with just to feel 10 years old again.
I felt like a child and it didn't frighten me. I have been so consumed with this idea that I haven't grown up and I never will, because my heart and mind are continuing that ongoing battle that began over 6 years ago. I figured that because I still felt the same, I still was.
Well, that battle has not ended - it may take something more powerful than skipping. But I have achieved that feeling of fulfillment and completeness. I have filled that jigsaw piece that I'd never thought I'd find into the puzzle that I never thought I'd finish.
Well - not yet. But I'm going to buy a hula-hoop tomorrow.

No comments: